Saturday, September 15, 2018

BIRD NEWS:432



My next trip with birds in it was, as you can see above, to the beach. I took the bus to Brighton and did some shopping, had coffee then came back towards home. I had a half hour wait between bus changes at Worthing, so thought I would wander along the beach and see what I could see, the seagull being the first to capture my camera's attention after scanning the distant pigeons.


I was just spotting something sitting on the wooden slats over the sewerage pipe, when the seagull decided to fly away. I went along to investigate. I did not recognize the bird at first, mistaking it for some type of tern perhaps. There was a group of them closer to me with a few gulls further out to sea.



I spoke to Liz the next day and also peeped in the bird ID books and have come to the conclusion that Liz's guess was right - turnstones. As it is only my second sighting, I have yet to learn to know them without checking. She thought they might be as she knows turnstones are sighted at this beach.


So we have seagulls at the end, looking out to sea, with turnstiles closer inland, lazing about. My last two shots for today are of the beach gang as is, some regular readers may recall I often took photos of the beach gang as I used to travel to visit a nearby parrot and wait between buses here regularly.


2 comments:

  1. Nice action shot of that seagull.

    I was just thinking of your old parrot friends recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never know what i am doing til the day arrives to be able to arrnge to meet up these days...today was my first free day i knew about in advance for a few days - but i offered to dog sit!

    ReplyDelete