Friday, May 1, 2020

BIRD NEWS:574


My final attempt to get a photo of the nuthatch was sucessful. Well, at least you can see it is one, if not get a perfectly clear view. It was definitely worth turning off-course to look for the elusive woodpecker to find the nuthatch - even if I did not get perfect shots of it.


I then heard the distinct sound of a cuckoo calling 4-5 times! After that unseen treat, I discovered two fairly big dull birds in a field I was passing, having decided to head home.


At first, I thought they were doves - but they looked a bit big for that. Then I thought odd pigeons - but their coloring was wrong. Partridge perhaps?



The coloring was still not quite right though they were the right size and shape. They seemed to be plump grey birds - with a face that rules out both wood pigeon and partridge.


Possibly striped wings, too...


Could they be quail? After consuting several ID books, I am taking them to be red-legged partridges. Well - this is the first time I have seen that species in my entire life as far as I am aware!


2 comments:

  1. I wonder where the red-legged partridges came from. Maybe something happened to their usual home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its close to the peacock place - so they could be feee-wandering livestock or they m ight just be from the woodland...not sure.

    ReplyDelete