Wednesday, October 13, 2021

BIRD NEWS:643

 


Goldfinches just love sunflower hearts!! They do eat a few nyger seed too, but not many in comparison. I wonder how long the babes will feed at my feeder pole cafe for?



This blue tit was munching grubs - assumedly - from my son's underwear, hung on the washing line! Just shows what can climb on your 'clean' washing overnight.



During my period of 11.5 days covid isolation, I did this and that about the house, poly tunnel and yard - one thing I did was to clean up the patch behind the frog pond. I have ideas for what I want to plant there, but for now, it offers a bleak died-mud experience. The robin followed me about as I pulled out nettle and bramble, but then.....



One day in September, I looked out of my kitchen window and spotted a gray heron standing on the fence, looking into my pond. Soon after, before I could return with my camera, it had flown to a neighboring rooftop, however. In my second attempt to capture it on the camera, I managed to get a pigeon in shot too!



I took a solo ramble up our local hill, mainly to observe the newly renovated gardens. Additionally, I took a picture of this skylark - along with some information - on a NT board.



Back home, and we now have a family of around 7-8 goldfinches that visit and daily empty the sunflower heart feeder tube, along with munching the odd nyjer seed. 3-4 blue tits also come down daily to enjoy the peanuts and fat balls - and one day late in the month of September, I spotted a greenfinch joining in the cafe indulgences.



There is somebody in the tree watching me - a blackbird!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I still love the frog pond. I wonder if the bird on the clothesline thinks he's hanging out with a species of weird plastic birds. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...who knows what they make of laundry - or humans!!

    ReplyDelete