Wednesday, January 28, 2015

INTRODUCTION TO MY NEW BIRD STORY BLOG

Welcome to my replacement blog.

To NEW readers -
Since 2008, I was writing a blog about the birdlife I personally encountered in and around my home. Originally, I lived in Wollongong City in the Illawarra district of NSW, Australia. We had a family of release show pigeons living in our yard and on the neighbor's rooves, along with multiple visitors - including the cockatoo, rainbow lorikeet, kookaburra, Australian black-backed magpie, and red-whiskered bulbuls. The birds made themselves at home

Around my home when walking I might encounter a pelican, lyre bird, galah or fairy wren...



I not only wrote about these birds in my blog, but wrote a book on them! You can view an extract from that book HERE.

In 2009, I returned to England, where I had been born, in order to take care of my ailing elderly father who passed away in late 2013. I found the birds hesitant, unfriendly, reluctant to trust me, and cautious in comparison. I have spent the past 5 years trying to be friends and have managed with limited success. A few of the birds in the back yard, which i inherited along with the house, trust me enough not to fly away when they see me at my windowsill or in the yard - but none of them come to me and sit on my wrist in anticipation of the seed I am about to donate. Many of my photos are taken through my bedroom window of the birds who occupy the tree stationed there.



To OLD regular readers -
I can only apologize on behalf of my former blogging host Orble for the sudden disappearance of my former blog. I have been writing www.birdstory.com posts for around 8 years and had gathered more than a dozen subscribers, was getting 250-300 daily readers on average, and had no idea they were going to suddenly axe my blog.

I went to post on Sunday, only to find the domain name was for sale! I emailed the blog hosts in vain - twice. Eight years of writing - GONE! (Luckily, I still have all my photos on file!!) I have 5 posts ready written without a home to go to...

Hopefully, some of you will find your way here to my new blog - 3-4 of you I know from other places and can inform, others may try searching for the former blog and entering keywords - hopefully they will bring you here, at some point.

I intend to continue to publish blog posts concerning the birds in the backyard - Mr Bob, Mr Black and Curio, Pidge, Beatie, Plate-face, Sing, Song, and Cough are still here! I shall also add visits to the regular and irregular places I spot birds - so there should be more tales of the Worthing beach gang, Naboo and Bluey, and the Priory Park budgies...

To ALL readers -
My intention with this blog is to post photographs - perfect pictures, mishaps, and blurred sightings amixed - along with the tales of the lives of the birds in my yard and environments I visit, with a few facts and multiple personality observances, along with the occasional link to other bird-related articles, blogs, and photos.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Sande. I'm so sorry that your prior blog has disappeared. You put a lot of work into it; it's so sad that all that writing has been lost.

    I hope all your old readers find you here. Is it possible for you to buy that domain name and set up a redirect to this new blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could grab it for an affordable price - but as I wouldnt be using it, it is not really worth it. If anyone googles the old url, this blog should come up, though - as I put the URL into the text...

    ReplyDelete