Thursday, April 18, 2019

BIRD NEWS:481


This assemblage of pigeons was shot from either Chichester or Bognor, I forget which as I traveled to both on the same trip and day. A rooffull of pigeons was definitely sufficient for me to bring out the camera, though, as my regular readers will know!



Here are a few more pigeons trotting along the street. The following day my excursion took me to Mewsbrook park's boating lake - and I caught sight of a pair of farm ducks among the mallards, seagulls, mute swans and coots.



On the third day, Liz and I trotted off around Warningcamp and Arundel on a mini-hike, and although we spotted a pair of buzzards, along with several other birds such as blackbird, heron, and a smaller reed bird, I had not taken my camera with me so have no photographs.


My next excursion was also solo, and I spotted several egrets on the wide water lagoon situated between Lancing and Shoreham. There were no mute swans and little other birdlife apart from sparrows on this trip however.


Arriving at Shoreham, I spotted multiple seagulls and a pair of brown birds - alas I did not have my bins with me to see them close enough to make out what they were - but you can spot them amongst the greenery.



Here is evidence that supplying sunflower hearts attracts goldfinches. They used to hang for nyjer seed, but these days they appear to prefer sunflower hearts. Maybe I should copy Liz and sow some teasel seeds, too...

3 comments:

  1. I love how the pigeons just stroll around like people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too - but they can do it on roof tops as well as sidewalks!

    ReplyDelete