Thursday, September 26, 2019

BIRD NEWS:508


 







One last shot of the kingfisher! Next, Liz spotted a bird that she thought was a young water rail - and possibly it is. I am still uncertain, as I usually only see water rail in winter - not summer, yet it certainly walked like one - and did not have the white or red patches of coots and moorhens...It looked exactly like a young one would - except the beak was shorter than I would imagine. Maybe I am used to pigeons - who are born with feet and beaks at adult size and have to grow the rest of themselves to fit.




After I had spent a while taking photos of the perhaps-young water rail, I took a couple of shots of a tern. It was diving for food every so often, after flying low and looking for its lunch.




My last photos for today are a second shot of the tern, diving down....and a blurry capture of a woodpecker feeding at the large hide - which was our next stop on the day's wanderings.



2 comments:

  1. I guess I did spot the Kingfisher. :D

    I love those shots of the Tern in motion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did. should have swapped to video, but.....

    ReplyDelete