Monday, December 13, 2021

BIRD NEWS:656

 



They munched grass - watching - until one of the youngsters ventured towards me, less patient than I.



All three youngsters came over to investigate me...



Followed by the parents. They trusted me....'but'....wasn't I standing where the food got thrown to them?



If so, they did not want to miss out!!



Oh well...it had been worth a try! I was at least harmless, if not a feeder-peep.



Here they all were - Mr Orangetag Bewick, Mrs Silvertag Bewick, 2 sons and one daughter.



The next swans I saw were on my attempted way home. I had planned to walk down to Littlehampton along the river Arun, then take the coast to Rustington, and then walk home. But...shortly after the above shot, I had to turn around and go back to Arundel then walk home the exact way I had arrived that morning, thru Angmering Park Estate woodland. The reason being the river was full - so full, that the pathway under Ford railway bridge was underwater. Had I known the trail ahead into Littlehampton was totally river-free on the path, I might have taken off my socks and hiking boots and waded thru, wetting my jeans but making it...But I had no idea what lay ahead, and not wanting to do that twice, turned round instead. On my way back to Arundel, I spotted a group of swans on the river - so assume this pair in the field had flown back to join them and were mute, not bewick winter arrivals.



That was that. My next trip was to Warnham nature reserve near Horsham with Liz.

2 comments:

  1. These pictures are great. Did you get a new camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not yet - i just dont use full zoom. i am ok with no zoom or semi zoom....but anything more is useless. so i cant take shots of little blobs in the air and then find out what they were any longer, etc.

    ReplyDelete