Wednesday, October 11, 2017

BIRD NEWS:372



The blacknecked swans were trying to eat the caged food - but of course they were outside and the food inside - so, as did the gulls, they had to nibble other stuff. I passed a bit closer when I turned the corner and got some more shots.



The coot also decided to get into these photos - another black and white bird. I did not have to walk much further before finding some pigeons! They were hanging out the feeder station with the nenes.


Briefly, an update from home - no irregular sightings to report. The starlings gobble fat balls and sparrows gobble seed, ensuring the need to continue to top up the feeders nearly every day. Mr Bob and Pidge continue to visit my bedroom windowsill for a mix of suet pellets and seed early mornings. The wrens are busy flitting about gobbling bugs on all the bushes - often in front of the kitchen window on the dangling weeds. Blackbirds, magpies and jackdaws also frequent the garden and roof, with the occasional blue tit or great tit.


Another swan! Can anyone guess which variety this one is? I will give you a clue - It is NOT a Bewick, Trumpeter or black-necked swan! Here is a better look....


Your final clue is that it is very common in England, so I rarely bother to take a photo of it. The answer will start my next post.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to guess mute swan, because I think that's the kind that is protected by the Queen.

    That's a great picture of the spaceship. All of the pictures are super-sized this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct!!!! i did not know about the wueen - but i do know that wandering about Sussex its the most common swan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I actually got it right. :o :D

    ReplyDelete