Tuesday, October 31, 2017

BIRD NEWS:375

Well, before beginning to continue with photo posting - a back yard update. Early October, brought me dashing out the house and racing up the path quickly - in response to spotting a black cat on my path - and then spotting something large and grey in its mouth! Sure enough, as said cat darted off from my fast-approaching presence, it left behind a bitten bird.

A young wood pigeon shuffled off towards safety, drooping its wing. Worried it might be injured and need assistance, or be unable to fly as yet - for it was very young with stubbly feathers if full sized - I gloved up, scooped it up, and placed it safely on top the patio greenhouse in the ivy. I took a photo, but it does not seem to have come out very well.


Again, another update. Liz and I went on a hiking trip to Arundel - not to the WWT - but we did see some birds. A bluetit and group of longtailed tits were tree-flitting - as they were on my hike the previous day to Patching Pond. Then, Liz spotted a heron - which I managed to spot catching a fish through the noccies. On the Patching Pond trip the previous day, the only other birdlife I spotted was a pair of mallards on the pond - seen over a lay by fence.

My next excursion was to WWT Arundel, where regular readers may know that it is my custom to relax for a short time with either a coffee or lunch at the outdoor tables by the cafe. The above picture may therefore be familiar to some. My next shots were of the Bewick swan family - where the cygnets are as large as the parents, but still a little greyer, and more apt to lie down than stand on one leg by the looks of it.



In fact, when I arrived at the next swans enclosure, the Trumpeter swans were also hanging out in single legged poses.



6 comments:

  1. Have you seen that wood pigeon that you saved from the cat? Is he okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no....but there are no stray feathers either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and the past 2-3 days i HAVE spotted a fiarly 'new' pigeon that trusts me enough to sit in the tree whilst i put seed out on the sill.... wonder if it is the same fellow? maybe and maybe not....but....it would be nice if it had survived!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet it is him. He knows you are a friendly being.

    ReplyDelete