Sunday, November 12, 2017

BIRD NEWS:377




One more shot of the nene nibbling away at the feeder, before i wandered on a little further around the reserve. Next, an info board giving information about blue tits.


Here we have the answer to the mystery duck featured several posts back with odd plumage hanging out with the mallards. It appears to actually be a mallard - one who's summer plumage does not turn dull like the female, but who turns black and white in summer, only to regain its normal colors in fall. Why 1-2 ducks do this while the rest turn dull brown I do not yet know - but you can still see a large white patch on the bird to the left.



I was nearing the exit lake but first I came across a group of eiders. A couple of gulls and other ducks are also in first shot, though only a blue-beaked one joins them in the next.



Beyond, a few other ducks were hanging out. There were also some moorhens and geese.


Back home, and my 4-hole seed feeder broke during a clean out. I went to buy a new 2-hole seed feeder, but accidentally picked up a nyger seed feeder. Despite the seed going thru the hole and it looking big enough for the sparrows to eat from, they refused to eat from it. I therefore traded the spare nyjer seed feeder for an old regular seed feeder with my best friend Liz - leaving both lots of birds now well fed and content.

3 comments: