Friday, June 1, 2018

BIRD NEWS:411 & raven cull link



Liz gave me a bag of nyjer seed, and I was wondering if I would get a chance to use it as our visiting goldfinch had not been spotted for some time. Just 1-2 days after I was given the seed however, I was in luck - three goldfinches came down and have been feasting daily since.

I was looking out of the spare room window, and spotted a female blackbird disappearing into the hedge with a beakful of nesting material. I got my camera ready to take a shot - thru net curtains so alas the photos are blurred - and spotted a sparrow with a beakful of nesting material. Sigh - I was planning on trimming the hedge this week, but...



Oh well, at least I will have baby birds to watch! It is a lot safer site than in the back yard too, as underneath the dense hedge is bramble and other prickly things - so no cats!

My next birdfull trip was a local hike. Normally, when I trot off to Angmering Park Estate, I do not bother with my camera or noccies, just door keys and a map. However, on this occasion in the midst of April, I had decided to take some pictures of the bluebells - which were almost out, although a few days to a week before their best. On my way, as I trotted along Swillage Lane and passed the first possible turn off which I chose not to take, I spotted a mallard strolling in the field. This is not a surprise, as there is a pond the other side of the road a little further down.

Can anybody spot the bird hidden here? I was walking along from Dover Cottage towards Angmering Park cottages and spotted a tree-climbing bird - so grabbed the camera - I thought it was a treecreeper, and hoped to get some decent shots, but...

I cannot see the little fellow on the first shot. It may be overly well camouflaged or it may have dived out of sight round the trunk too quickly. On my next attempt I managed to capture it though - but to illustrate its possible camouflage in the previous shot, I have had to show you where it is on this one - in case you cannot spot it!

HERE is a link to a recent article about a raven cull in Scotland - :(

2 comments:

  1. That's a great shot of the mallard in the field. It looks like a painting.

    Why do they want to kill all those ravens? Are the ravens killing other species or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i havent a clue why they want to murder ravens - over population or destruction or somthing i suppose...but i dont 'know' why.

    ReplyDelete