Saturday, June 2, 2018

BIRD NEWS:412








On my way home from my walk, I spotted the mallard again - this time on the road - swimming in a puddle. It was with another mallard, near 2-3 more who were swimming in the pond on the other side of the road. They decided to head back to their pond as I approached.


My next excursion was with Liz early in May; we went to RSPB Pulborough Brooks. As we sat sipping our coffees, we spotted blue tits and a nuthatch, and on our wanderings we caught sight of a pair of Egyptian geese with 6-7 youngsters, a pair of tawny owl babes, a kestrel, common sandpiper, buzzard, woodpecker, egret scoffing a fast and ready meal, and 2 nightingales. We also heard a cuckoo - but did not see it.



Whilst standing outside with a giant sack of bird seed, waiting for Liz to drive the car closer, I took 3 photos - two of a pigeon at their entrance bird feeder area and one of a wooden carved bird!


It was only one day before my next excursion, to Arundel WWT. I did not take quite so many pictures on this trip, despite rambling about for 3 hours, due to the fact that I concentrated on catching smaller birds flitting about the trees and reeds - needing the noccies and being too obscured to photograph. I did however get a dozen or so shots - including this one of a Nene/Hawaiian goose family.


My last two photos for this post are of a mute swan sited on a nest - still building it be the 'beaking' of grass going on, I assume. It just sat, and picked up pieces and tucked them in....



2 comments:

  1. Love the carved bird. :D

    Pulborough Brooks looks like an interesting place. What are those cups sticking up out of the ground? Some kind of feeder or just a decoration?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i assume its a bird feeder...not sure though as i didnt walk up close.

    ReplyDelete