Thursday, December 27, 2018

BIRD NEWS:448


I have a few more photos of the bullfinch that visited my garden on the third Sunday of the month. Today's pictures were taken from the coffee lounge, whereas in my last post they were taken thru the kitchen window.



After these shots, it was seen for a 3rd trip on the bird bath later in the day - so it spent at least one day exploring a potential new home. Whether it will become a local drop in or new inhabitant I do not know. I did not see it on Monday, but...



I moved the paving slabs from various 'stepping stone' points that I do not use to the front of the pond and within minutes of my retreating indoors, Mr Bob the robin and the newest male blackbird had decided to grab a quick snack of the grubs and bugs still in situ on the moved pavers.


This wintry looking scene taken towards the end of November might give you a clue to my next excursion - Arundel WWT. I started with a hot coffee at the cafe...


A mass of pigeons flew overhead in the above shot, as I sat there lazing after a 45 minute trot along the riverbank and arrival. They had been dislodged from the cafe roof by a grumpy seagull. They floated back to land soon after making a couple of circles around.



You can see in this shot not only their daytime hangout when not feeding, but the cafe below - and indeed the large room above the cafe where they held the Yoga sessions on wellness weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Great shot of the pigeons in the wintry sky. It's also nice to see the birdbath again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well one of the bird baths is under cover due to stinging nettles and other wilderness....but the stone one is in the open so small birds can drink without danger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I see. Are you going to clear a path to the other one, or move it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. no. winter will remove the weeds and overgrowth for me!

    ReplyDelete