Sunday, January 5, 2020

BIRD NEWS:546


My next excursion was with Liz, and we set off on new years day 2020 to spend the day in Brighton. Apart from non-bird related tasks, one of the main reasons we had gone was to see the starling murmuration. My first picture for today is of the seagulls underneath and starlings further out/above, as they began to gather.


We had been wandering along the coast and spotted a half dozen or so birds amassing as we set towards the pier, so went along to watch. More and more and more arrived and they dived and swooped all over the skies. They took about a half hour to gather into 3-4 large groups and swirl and twirl abut the pier in the air - then group by group dived under the pier to roost for the night, allowing us to go warm up with coffee as we had gotten quite cold standing about. Next time, I will take a video...


My next excursion was a solo venture to Arundel WWT the first Saturday of the new year. I started with a hot cuppa as it was fairly cold out that day, then onwards I trod - in anticlockwise or Lizwards direction. I first passed the area that used to house eider, Aussie woodducks, etc but is soon going to house some fancy pelican....then spotted a duo of mute swans with a duck and a coot in a lake.



I passed the new feeding area - and this fellow took a look wondering if I was going to join in. I was more interested in photographing the pigeons though - maybe next time I will feed the geese!



I then took a photo of each of the black necked swans - Mr and Mrs Blackneck.

3 comments:

  1. I love watching those murmurations, and that's a nice shot against the blue-gray sky. I also love the goose standing next to the spaceship. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. spaceship indeed! it's a feeder station!! :) the birds dont go off to visit Mars - they just eat!

    ReplyDelete