Sunday, January 12, 2020

BIRD NEWS:547



I next passed a pair of Nenes and a notice board. I then went into the woodland hide. I was watching what appeared to be an extra large, extra fluffy, great tit - possibly a young one - exhibit odd behaviour. It sat on the feeder nibbling at the seed between its toes - it didn't just dive in, grab and run... One of the staff members popped into the hide and asked what I had been seeing - when I mentioned the bird he mentioned a water rail in clear view right below that I had completely missed due to studying the strange youngster.



i managed to take pictures of both - but didn't know which to focus on. The water rail is a rarer sighting than a great tit - yet this tits behavior was odd. The staff member suggested it may have been taking lessons from a finch, as they are more likely to nibble their food than run off with it. It reminded me of a cockatoo or parrot though.




My attention was then taken to a coal tit - which I was unsure if I had gotten a picture of or not, as a noisy family came along and scared it away. I had also tried to get a snap of the  nuthatch....


Success with the coal tit. I then moved on, as another family approached. I got to the trumpeter swan enclosure and took a photo of a mute swan who was using their lake.


2 comments:

  1. I find the eccentric behavior of the great tit to be very interesting. I wonder if he really did learn new behavior from a different species, or if he just a little nonconformist. Amazing, either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes we have so m any in our own yard - but...this one was a tad different in its feeding.if it ws at home, i might be able to observe it long term and figure it out...

    ReplyDelete