Tuesday, August 2, 2022

BIRD NEWS:704 - warning dying rat in 4 pictures

 




The last 4 shots of our Lancing-Shoreham excursion are somewhat sad - if 'nature'. A crow appeared to be attacking/killing a rat...



It kept pecking at the head/neck, then grabbing the tail and dragging it back to the path as the poor half dead creature attempted escape with its last energy thrusts.



Whilst you can feel sad for the rat, you can also feel happy for the crow.



That brings me to the end of April 2022. Our May excursions began with Liz and I spending a day in Sheffield Park. Firstly, we sat down to have coffee and somebody came to sit on a spare chair beside our table and join us.



I got a really good photo, at it sat just the right distance for my camera to steal a well focused shot.



Liz rewarded our unexpected guests with some cheese crumbs from her lunch box. It consumed one with a gulp and flew off with the second. We then began to explore the gardens. Trust me to spot a pigeon-hole on a stick!! Ha ha.



We then came across what Liz thought to be a tree creeper. We decided that although it might have been a tit or strange colored robin, she was probably correct. This was based on its actions and her having spotted white, and its size. I have only seen them going up and down tree trunks before, not along branches, so I was still unconvinced to 100% that it wasn't a blue tit, but...we will call it a tree creeper.



2 comments:

  1. Oh, man, I didn't know that crows would kill and eat an animal as big as a rat. I feel sorry for the poor rat. 😥

    I love the pigeon-hole-on-a-stick and the visiting bird, though. What kind of bird is that?

    ReplyDelete