Tuesday, July 10, 2018

BIRD NEWS:420



It turned out to be a large group of rooks or crows, either disturbed by something or gathering for some other reason, possibly to gang up on a bird of prey to claim territory. Mrs Mallard and a small clutch of cygnets were gobbling away at the slimy aquatica as I trotted along the path. It did not look very appetizing to me, but...


An info board showed something more promising, though there were significantly less smaller birds in the reserve on this occasion due to another change - the WWT Centers now take down the feeder hangers of seed and peanut that attract smaller birds in spring, summer and fall. The woodland hide was consequently empty of birds when I stuck my head in.


I managed to spot my old friends the Bewick swans at last - just before finding the 'empty' woodland hide, which is usually the best place to spot smaller birds. The adults were with their cygnets in a cage area that I could just spot from the meadow maze feature.



Finally - a glimpse of the babes! Awwwww, fluffballs! An info board was next sighted, explaining teenage goose behaviour...

3 comments:

  1. Why do they take down the feeders for small birds? I'm sure there's a good reason, but it seems odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. something about not feeding them apart from in winter any mkore - natural food available and rat problems possible - tho it means some of the birds are no longer visible and the woodland hide is pointless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad. I guess they don't want them to be too domesticated.

    ReplyDelete