Sunday, July 26, 2020

BIRD NEWS:583




On my next trip - again solo - I walked through Rustington and on to Mewsbrook Park. I got a much better look at the swan family on this trip. They appear to have 8 cygnets! They were hanging out with one parent, while the other stood guard, watching from the bank.



The youngsters were all swimming about munching at the weeds and grasses in the pond and at its edge. Eventually, after having their fill, one or two of them took a nap, burying their beaks in their back and doze-swimming.



Mr or Mrs Mute was minding them still though. I was pleased to see they were more or less tame. Some adults can get very protective of their cygnets so hiss and flap at humans. I JUST managed to get them all in one picture - although I only got the accompanying parent's head, while managing to get the other adult captured in shot.



In the above shot, I managed to get the distant parent with a dozing offspring, whereas in my final picture for today I have a close up of a dozing youngster.



6 comments:

  1. These are some adorable pictures of the swan family. I love that last picture of the dozing baby-- it looks like a swan-shaped island. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are the only swans i ever see these covid-days....looking forward to seeing the Trumpeter family and the Bewick Duo again @ WWT Arundel in a few weeks, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They probably wonder where you've been all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I think birds have pretty good memories for their companions and people they know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they might recall their regular staff that feed them - but a monthly visitor who hangs out for a while - not so sure.

    ReplyDelete