Tuesday, August 8, 2017

BIRD NEWS:358

Here we are back at home with Ditty on the feeder, wondering how to get the seed out, and thinking that if she caught my attention I might help out.


Here is Mr Bob in his summer color-loss. Mr Bob the robin is a bit smarter. My plan was to capture him 'doing the starling' - dangling from the suet ball feeder and tucking in. This is a rare thing as robins are generally table/ground feeders - but this smart chap has watched and learned! Alas, he also learned how to avoid getting his photo taken at the right time!


My next excursion was back to Arundel WWT, hence the local gull info board. Regular readers may expect my next shot to be either a Bewick swan or a goose with family hanging around the boat ramp area - but nope. It is of a goose and family, though!

They were hanging out with Mr and Mrs mallard under the goldfinch feeder in the wildlife garden! Next up is a swan, but a Trumpeter swan....

The Bewick swans I noted on nest with tiny cygnets on my last visit had vanished: nest, young, parents - everything. I did not go up to 2 of the hides, and maybe they were re-sited there. I will check on my next trip. Otherwise, I assume they have been removed to mingle elsewhere due to being in a breeding program.

The Trumpeter swan duo were still swimming around in their regular site, though. Next up, an info board concerning swallows.

2 comments:

  1. I love how Mr Bob has learned to mimic the behavior of another species to get what he needs-- birds are very smart animals.

    ReplyDelete