Monday, August 21, 2017

BIRD NEWS:361 including a dead bird


I was approaching the last lake and took a shot of this info board. I had not seen the species while living in Australia, that I am aware of though. Next, On my right as I took the last stretch towards the cafe and exit, I found a nesting magpie goose squashed between fence and growth.



While momma bird paid little attention other than to watch without fear, papa bird came up to the fence and glared at me. That was near the exit and I then went homewards.




This shot is of a pigeon flying into my garden and was taken through the kitchen window. My next shot is a sad one. I went out to hang up the laundry one Tuesday in the midst of July and spotted the sight of my friend lying dead on the path. Curio, the tame and friendly female blackbird had been murdered. She was being eaten by slugs...


No more dodging her as she runs about on the patio while I carry out wet clothes, so as not to trip over her - nor her ignoring me rather than flying away as I wander off to fill the bird bath or water the garden. There is no longer a blackbird in the dawn chorus either - as last week someone/thing killed Mr Black, her husband.

I do not know if a cat chose to kill then not eat the birds. Perhaps it was a fox, which is better known for discarding unneeded food if killing too much. It may have been a human that was better suited to city living than a countryside village and didn't appreciate the tuneful singing of blackbirds at 4-6am. Maybe a magpie or jay attacked them. I do not yet know...
Liz thinks the second death might have been old age, though - as Curio had no visible wound.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, poor Curio. :( It seems like Curio has been around a long time, so maybe old age was the reason. Or maybe it was sadness because her husband was killed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. either way - it added to my sadness.

    ReplyDelete