Friday, March 2, 2018

BIRD NEWS:396



Here we see our latest resident male blackbird successfully attempting to munch suet balls. Blackbirds usually are ground feeders or tablefeeders - but this fella has found a way around that!


As you can see, I have added a new feeder to the stand - a wire mesh peanut feeder. I did actually buy another tubular base-exit feeder, but the tits would not touch the nuts from that. I bought a mesh feeder for spring - so figured I would put out both the old one and the spring one now - so that when I swap them over later on, the birds will use both. The mesh is safer for young tits, as they may choke on whole nuts, which the jays and adult tits prefer...


I happened to glance out of the spare room window one morning late February and spot - a heron on a neighborhood roof. I only managed one shot before it flew away, though.

At home, little has changed - there are not many birds at the moment due to that pair of pigeon-murdering black furballs. However, on a hike taken during the final weekend of the month, I managed to spot a few oddities - alas, without noccies or camera. I saw geese on Swillage lane pond, peacocks and partridges in gardens, and a plover - see HERE.


The end of February brought a cold spell, including a fall of snow. I took a few photos of the garden and birds in it - and here we see the light covering that the back yard had at around 7-8am. I was soon out and pouring fresh water on top the bird bath - and our resident male blackbird was quick and eager to take advantage of it - as this time the pond was also frozen over.


2 comments:

  1. That's cool. We don't often see snow in your pictures. The birds must have been wondering what the heck was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. used to have snow every 1-2-3 years as a kid - these days it usually vanishes within an hour of falling and only sticks every 4-5 years.

    ReplyDelete