Sunday, March 11, 2018

BIRD NEWS:398


Here is Mr Bob enjoying a snack I deposited near the base of the former palm tree in the icy cold snowy topped start of March. March continued and on just the second day, I spotted a goldcrest in my back yard. At first I thought it was a wren - but then I noticed the stripe on the forehead... Alas, no camera at hand.


No, I am not at Arundel - but Lancing-Shoreham in the above and next few photos. I was just about to start a boring dull day of cleaning a dirty room ready to redecorate, when my best friend Liz phoned and invited me out to walk along the beach with her. I dumped my cloth and cleaning gloves and packed my camera ready!


As well as the mute swans there was a smaller bird - but neither of us had our binoculars with us, so I took a photo to enlarge on the computer afterwards to discover what we had seen. It appears to be a redshank, which is what Liz thought it might be - but I am not 100% positive as the legs do not appear orange...



Next up I spotted a hovering bird which Liz identified as a kestrel - and managed two shots - one with and one without a helicopter! We next came across a sandbank littered with shelducks hanging out with a few gulls.



It was definitely a pleasant place to stroll on a dry day in late winter/early spring, with so many different birds to observe. Among those not pictured, were a little egret, sparrows, the entire 6-swan family, and a small sparrow-sized bird that might have been a wheatear, as they are familiar to the territory.

2 comments:

  1. I thought, "Say, that blurry bird looks like a helicopter." I guess my identification skills are improving. :D

    I love the little shelduck island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i didnt have time to focus the shots of the kestrel - just left it in point and shoot mode.

    ReplyDelete