Thursday, January 24, 2019

BIRD NEWS:453



I spotted my winter-pal Plateface the thrush now we are into December. The sparrows are active on the feeder pole again now that the wintry weather has arrived. I have also seen more action from the wren, last spotted hopping about the pond-side stones looking for snacks much as Plateface is in the photo above.



My next outing gave me a couple of photos - unsure of the bird in question, I took a couple of shots while Liz and I went on a ramble North of Arundel. We agreed it was almost certain to be a kestrel....



Back home, and I have not been seeing much other than the regular everyday. IE, sparrows, starlings, the odd robin, blackbird and wood pigeon. Pictured above an assembly on the feeder pole tucking in to Christmas goodies. My other Christmas Day visitor was more seasonal and allowed me to photograph him on the bird bath.



That brings me to my late December trip to Arundel WWT. Above is a shot of the eiders and other assorted ducks and geese in the cafe-side lake. Below is a wood pigeon who decided to act as a gatekeeper.


2 comments:

  1. I love that picture of the bird sitting on the birdbath. Also, the one up in the tree against the gray sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes that kestrel was spec - Liz saw it too and managed to confirm the ID of it. they usually fly away before you get close enough to get a decent pic, or are hovering in the air.

    ReplyDelete