Sunday, November 15, 2020

BIRD NEWS:594

 



Of course, I took a few more photos of the trumpeters, including the juveniles. Liz spotted a white headed duck further out, while I was preoccupied by the swans.



It reminded me a little of a black-backed radjah shelduck, but I couldnt recall the full name at that point and Liz was wondering what on earth it was...



I took several pictures to make sure it was what I thought it was - and later on, when passing the place it used to be, and possibly should still be, we spotted the ID board and more to illustrate that that is what it was.



It was the only one of its own kind on the Trumpeter lake, though there were of course coot and mallard with the swans.



This was a very good shot of the mystery duck - and once we saw the illustration later on, we could tell the brown patch behind the black was a giveaway along with the white head. Definitely a black-backed Radjah shelduck! The mystery remains as to why this single one was swimming quite contentedly with the swans though.



I was luckily able to get plenty of shots of the lil fellow just in case it wasn't what I thought it was, though. I also kept taking pictures of the swans as I don't know when I can next get back to see them again now my visits are limited due to covid causing transport troubles.



My last photograph for today is of the sickie-pens. These pelicans are not ill however, it is just that there has been a delay to their new enclosure which was due to open in summer being ready. Autumn is here and the exhibition area is still being set up for the new aviary and pelican lake. Their lake area is almost ready - with logs on grassed lumps and a lake... Though both Liz and I will miss the eiders and their strange noises when seated outdoors with a coffee.



2 comments:

  1. they will be rehoused at other wwt reserves, set free into the wild....i dont know.

    ReplyDelete