Wednesday, April 22, 2015

BIRD NEWS:27


Yes, that is TWO wood pigeons on the windowsill. Still in the second week of April, I heard two birds land to munch seed, but that was not all. A few moments later, along came another...


...landing in the tree just as I took a shot of one pigeon peeping in at me. Shortly afterwards, a fourth pigeon arrived, but by then one of the first two decided to scatter the newcomers. Much fluttering later, the first couple finished their seed-feast and flew away - with the second couple then swooping down to devour the left overs.

Alas, all is not good news in the yard birdwise though. One evening I heard a commotion - various alarmed birds and some scuffling in the tree. Realizing a cat was after the young ones, i tossed a jug of water onto the patio to frighten away the 'pet' from my 'wildlife reserve'! Whilst this worked, at some point in the night it returned and I found a dead baby blackbird on the path in the morning.


A day or so later, I caught a shot of Curio taking a drink. I was glad I had my camera with me while cooking on this particular day, as many photo opportunities arose. Next up, Spadge investigates the feeding table while Cough munches some food. More photos to come in my next post.


4 comments:

  1. Another dead baby bird. :( It's too bad there's not some way to deter the cat from coming in the yard. I wonder if you can buy bottled dog odor or something.

    That's a great shot of Curio at the bird bath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can buy chili flakes to deter cats - but it may affect other animals too - like hedgehogs and squirrels and foxes... so i would rather not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do the foxes leave the birds alone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have only spotted a fox once - I think it was pinching a duck egg from up the street, as it left one in my yard with tooth marks....so i think they go for bigger birds and eggs.they havent bothered the birds in my yard yet.

    ReplyDelete