Thursday, August 11, 2016

BIRD NEWS:214




Well, regular readers may not be surprised to see this photograph appearing amongst my wetlands reserve collective. Being a pigeon/dove fanatic, I had to shoot this wood pigeon snoozing on the top of the restaurant while stopping for my refreshments, before wandering around for the second loop!

I caught up with a swan on the path again. This time, a duck was wandering along with it. You can tell it is a mute swan because of the orange beak. The Bewick and Whooper swans have yellow beaks. HERE is a link that details the yellow beaked swans.  THIS link is one of the best for showing the variety of swans present in the UK wetland reserves.

I took a photo of 3-4 more information boards on this excursion and here is one detailing two similar birds from the reedbed walk. I have not seen either of these birds in person as yet, though. I returned to the woodland hide, upon which my friend Liz and I agree is one of the nicest spots to birdwatch at the reserve. A familiar to British birdwatchers appearance stood on the open-air windowsill shortly after I sat down for my second short watch of the day here - a robin.


My next few shots were very exciting - well, to me - as they capture a bird I had not seen in person before - the woodpecker. According to an identification plaque in the hide, they are a recent and welcome newcomer to be viewed. I do not know when the plaque was installed though - maybe months or years ago. However, here it is on the peanut feeder, munching away.


2 comments:

  1. it is closer than the duck....that makes it look a little bigger than it is, but yes, swans are LARGE birds.

    ReplyDelete