Monday, August 1, 2016

BIRD NEWS:211



More of the trumpeter swan family, along with a few ducks. The cygnets were coming closer, and I was able to catch a few decent shots when I walked along a little, from the side.



The day following my trip out, I realized that not only had our jay not visited still, but the entire garden seemed to lack birdlife for the first time in several weeks. I am not sure if there was a cat roaming around or not, or if it was just the rainy weather.

I did however spot a mommy bluetit with 3 young. Mommy bird grabbed seed/suet from the feeder and fed the young in turn. One youngster managed to pick up the lesson and started eating directly from the homemade bread/suet ball feeder without waiting for mom!

I also spotted a goldfinch pop onto the feeder briefly, before returning to the large garden weed I had purposefully left for the birds to enjoy. I recalled they liked the seed from former years. When I mentioned the goldfinch to my friend at our weekly coffee-meet, she gave me a special feeder and some niger seed for them. I have rinsed out the feeder and will replace the broken plastic feeder that housed bread previously. (I have recently filled that and the other suet ball feeder with a mix of both homemade bread and suet balls).

But back to my trip - I turned aside to spot this fellow before returning to the swan family.




2 comments:

  1. That's a great show of the swans out on the water.

    I love how that baby figured out how to feed himself so quickly. Smart kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah they all learn sometime - but some go for it quickly and others have to be half straved and urged into it.... interesting to see which birds go which way.

    ReplyDelete