Sunday, May 14, 2017

BIRD NEWS:329






Rook or carrion crow, they liked nuts. This made them more likely to be crow than rook, unlike their congregation and nests, which made them more likely to be rook than crow.


You would think with so many pictures, I might have been able to tell - but...this book stated this, and that book stated that. Whatever I read or viewed seemed to lead to one or other - but it evened out to 50-50. They remain a mystery - feathered thighs, flat foreheads, baggy feathered bellies, ARGHHHH! maybe I should just call them crooks!!


Well, here you can see I left Bognor and moved on to Arundel - familiar territory. I spotted mute swans somewhere in the complex, but did not photograph them - preferring to focus on the Bewick and Trumpeter species while the black-necked swans were in hiding.


But first there was a nest of goslings with parent birds hanging about guardfully. Not sure if they were more concerned about me staring at them from the pathway or the ducks that had decided to wander nearby, though.

2 comments:

  1. All those pictures of the jet-black birds are very striking. And it's funny, because I was thinking of them as crooks, too. :D

    I wonder if local populations of rooks and crows might breed together, blending appearances and behaviors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i havent heard of that happening....but i guess it is possible as they are 'similar'...

    ReplyDelete