Sunday, December 24, 2017

BIRD NEWS:387


It was very cold and I did not stop long before passing along and finding a tree of pigeons! Here, we see a mute swan and a pair of black-necked swans sharing a lake with several other birds.


Next, another info board followed by a live specimen or two - of the swan goose.



I now have a questions for regular readers again - can you identify this swan by its bottom?


Here is an info board about 2 birds I have yet to observe. If I have seen either, I have not seen them long enough to identify them as these species, anyway.


Liz has seen one or both, as she mentioned to me on my next trip - to Pulborough Brooks. As I only took 2 pictures and the swan identity photo is the last photo taken on my current Arundel trip, I will now jump to the PB trip.

Liz drove me to Pulborough Brooks on the final Saturday in November. We wandered around, Liz knowing the place better than me, although I have been there 4-5 times now. I did not take very many pictures - but we did see quite a lot with our binoculars. My first of two photos was of a map, showing where Pulborough Brooks is.



My second photo did not come out very well - and was taken of a kestrel that hovered nearby. We watched it through the binoculars for a time, and just as I was getting my camera out, it flew further away - so not a very good picture. Our other sightings included a blacktailed godwit, treecreeper, buzzard, and longtailed tits. We also saw the show pigeons and a blue tit...

4 comments:

  1. I love that tall picture with the pigeons in the tree. I'm curious about the Roman Bath House on the map-- is that an old ruin on the grounds of Pulborough Brooks?

    My guess for the bird butt is Mute Swan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i havent come across the roman bath house - will have to investigate! my post with the response about the swan seems to have vanished....not sure what became of post # 388....

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh here you go - the answer is here -http://birdaugb.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/bird-news388-and-christmas.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess 388 wasn't there when I was checking in. I was right about the swan. :D

    ReplyDelete