Wednesday, February 25, 2015

BIRD NEWS:11

February continued, and still in the first week I managed to capture two shots of Plate-face the song thrush taking a drink at the bird bath. Later on, she was diving under the tubs to extract hedgehog food pellets, whenever Mr Black and son did not chase her away.


The second week remained cold and wet, so I threw out pieces of organic apple to add to the foods available for the birds. It was very quiet one day, and not just because the rain had stopped and the wind died down - this fellow was hanging out in my tree! All the smaller garden birds had scooted into hiding - silently.
The weather warmed up for Valentine's Day, just a degree or two, but enough to make a difference in the feel of the air. A day or so before, I peeped out the bathroom window, sneakily. Ones bathroom window is not often a place to birdwatch, but I have neighbors across the street with a bird bath - and birdbox, feeders, etc... and they get a lot of starlings, jackdaws, blue-tits, and sparrows to watch.

Enough snooping! On Valentine's Day itself, I took a 700-run trip. Regular readers will know that this generally means pigeons on the beach and parrots darting about their cage...

For once, I have a surprise for you. At first, there was not a pigeon in sight, but there were beach birds about. Among the beach birds was this small fellow. I think it is a wagtail - but might be a long-tailed tit. I am uncertain as it bopped about and did not come closer.






2 comments:

  1. Whatever he is, he blends in well on the rocky beach. It's really hard to see him.

    I hope that predator bird doesn't make a habit of coming to the backyard. What is it, a hawk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the photos do not come out the same size at this blog to my old one, so the smaller birds are difficult to spot. Yes, it's a sparrowhawk - eats everything from sparrow thru starling to dove and pigeon.

    ReplyDelete