Friday, June 5, 2015

BIRD NEWS:43


It was the weekend and I decided to go out on Saturday, not on a 700-run as usual, but for a long walk. There would have been plenty to view at home, but a change of scene was calling my heart. The evening before my trip, I spotted the opportunity to grab a picture of this fellow - a young sparrow - in my tree, eagerly awaiting parent bird with a beakful of food.




Well, there is a beach and some birds - but not my usual pigeons at Worthing. This was a gang of large black birds in Rustington. They looked very much like our chimney-top jackdaws - but not quite the same. Maybe a differing species of jackdaw, or maybe a rook, crow, or raven. From online guides, it is most likely to be a carrion crow, but...


One did stand on the wall for a good shot... Once I had walked past the big black bird colony at Rustington and wandered along the river Arun in Littlehampton, I came across some snoozing swans. They were zzzing outside a cafe near a slipway for small craft. Except for one - who had an eye open as someone walked past behind him.





He settled down soon after, however - though still peeped out at me, as if to say 'are YOU going to annoy me by walking past, too?' before realizing I meant no harm and returning to nap-status along with his buddies a little distance away - one of whom had woken up and decided to preen.



4 comments:

  1. Wow, great shots of the black bird on the wall and the snoozing swans, as well as the beach. So this beach is within walking distance of your house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah - the black birds part is about an hour from my place on foot, the river/swans 1.5 hours walk out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, not for me, maybe... I used to do a 4 hour hike to Corrimal and back along the coast or a 6.5 hour hike through the botanic gardens and up Mt Keira and back, when i lived in Wollongong.... so to me its like a short stroll.

    ReplyDelete