Friday, February 5, 2016

BIRD NEWS:117




Here are two rather good shots of a young gull and a curious pigeon taken in the park mentioned in my previous post. My next shot looks like a pigeon about to take a jump - which indeed it did shortly after I shot the picture. It's partner had already dived down to the water below and it chose to follow. Winter is rather warmer than most years, and even in December the pigeons are amorous rather than shivering this year.



Taking a glance further across the water, you can see where the gulls are hanging out on a sand bank. Back on the concrete park path, a pigeon was finding it suitable to fluff up as it strolled along in my direction - it must have felt the cold more than its brothers and sisters.



Regular readers may recall that on my last trip to Shoreham I encountered a group of pigeons in a side alley on my way to the toilets. Sure enough, they were there again on this trip.

I was on the bus traveling homewards, riding in the top deck for a change to get a better view. As I left Shoreham and progressed towards Lancing (sorry - no Naboo or Bluey shots taken on this trip!!) I was just quick enough to catch this group of - yes folks, more pigeons - seemingly attacking a door handle on an upstairs balcony. You can also see those horrid wire spikes, which are used on building when people do not want pigeons on them - hee hee.



4 comments:

  1. It's weird seeing the birds behind the barbed-wire fence like that. I remember you posting that before.

    That's an interesting picture of the birds on the balcony. I wonder what they're up to. Trying to get in for some reason? Did the person in there anger them somehow? Do they sense food? Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect it is a regular feeding spot - pigeons used to hang round my windowsills in Wollongong KNOWING I brought food out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So the people who live there didn't put the spikes there, the people who built the building did?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea...it could be landlords or tenants or owners....

    ReplyDelete