Sunday, February 28, 2016

BIRD NEWS:126

Above, the last shot, a starling and pigeon were munching away at the fallen crumbs. Of course, food is not the only concern for our backyard birds, housing is another major need.

Recently, luckily not in breeding season/use, the blue-tit nesting box on next doors' laundry post was dismantled prior to new tenants. I made sure Beatie had sufficient food and she has stayed in the area as I have spotted her a few times on the tree or at the bird feeders, munching on a nut or snacking at the suet balls and seeds.

A friend of mine suggested that I put up a bird house to replace the one taken down next door - and thinking this a great idea I plodded off to purchase one at Wyevale Garden Center. Although I have yet to put it up, I now have a lovely brand new home for Beatie, should she choose to move in, once it is attached to one of the trees at the bottom of our yard. I am just waiting on the weather to stop being frosty, wet, or misty, so I can attach the nesting box properly and securely.


Due to discount and voucher, I manged to get the box and two bags of suet pellets as well for the cost of 2p less than the box alone - so I am quite happy with my purchase and eager to see if Beatie will like the new house too - otherwise, to see who does move in!

As I think I mentioned before - I was on the computer last week and heard a flapping bumping noise. When I turned to see which bird was flying up to catch bugs on the window pane, I discovered Beatie had flown inside and was actually trying to get out. After a bit more fluttering, she managed to find the hastily opened window.


The frosty mornings took a run of 3-4 in a row and the birds got super hungry over this period. The thrush, Plate-face was sighted for the first time since last winter and above you can see Curio and a starling munching fallen pieces of homemade bread which have fallen out the suet ball feeder.

3 comments:

  1. I always like any picture that has that bird bath in it. :D

    I hope Beatie likes her new house. I'm sure somebody will like it, if not her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you will have to get yourself a birdbath, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I have a house, I will definitely have a birdbath. :D

    ReplyDelete