Monday, February 15, 2016

BIRD NEWS:122



Here we see it did not pretend to be a flying saucer for long - the bread piece soon found its way back into a pigeon's mouth! Let's see a close-up of that happy bird...



No, that is neither pigeon nor bread scrap - that is a long-tailed tit that I found a group of in a tree when walking into the village from Angmering station area, past the high school. I managed to get a couple more shots - which came out pretty well considering it was then lit only by fading signs of daylight.



Boxing day was done. December was not quite over with, however. Although I do not have photos to prove it, I had a rather enjoyable if uncomfortable experience a few days before the year closed that involved a pigeon amongst other birds.

I had just scooped out a tub of seed and suet to place on the sill for the birds, and was in the process of pulling my window shut, twisting the catch and removing my hand and self, when Curio landed PLONK on the sill. She glanced at me cautiously, but did not leave, and started to tuck in to a few suet lumps. I managed to close the window, and was about to take my hand off the latch and withdraw to leave the birds in peace, when 4-5 starlings landed.

Whereas with Curio I would be sure she would be back if startled by my moving too fast, I was no longer able to move fast without the fear of upsetting the birds. By the time I had decided to make minute partial withdrawal steps, 3-4 sparrows had appeared and began to tuck in. Once again, I prepared to withdraw exceedingly slowly, but Bubster Pidge plonked down on the sill, warily, but defiantly - and with one eye remaining on me proceded to devour seeds gulp, gulp, gulp...

Now, for a pigeon to eat seed with me standing right next to it with my hand outstretched is not new for me - but it is new for me in this country. I no longer wished to withdraw until the pigeon had finished eating. I figured that if it was brave enough to come down while I was still right there in front of it to eat, then I could at least stay put without movement to allow it to feel secure and not scared. I thought that if I did it just this once, in the future it might get to know I was harmless - even close up.

Oh, and then I might have a pigeon friend that was tame, once more!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's cool. It sounds like you had about ten birds on the windowsill all at once. Maybe you could try leaving the window open next time and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont think they would like getting trapped inside the room - like Beatie did once. The pigeons/robins/starlings/Curio might be curious enough to investigate if i left a plate of seed on the inside sill though....

    ReplyDelete
  3. But in Australia they used to visit inside the house, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes but that was show pigeons/tame magpies and thru a door....not wild birds thru a window.

    ReplyDelete