Sunday, September 25, 2016

BIRD NEWS:230


As well as the duck eating fallen crumbs from the feeders, I spotted a young goose. You can see the big cave-like dent the bigger birds have made by scooping up the fallen titbits in their beaks under the feeder. The duck and goose wandered around a little waiting for more bluetits or nuthatches to drop crumbs for them to scoop up. I was busy watching the great and blue tits, when suddenly I heard footsteps behind me.


Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The geese were invading the hide through the human doorway! Sure enough, the young goose I had seen moments before on the outside of the hide scooping fallen crumbs, was now strolling purposefully into the hide and headed directly at me - followed by a pair of hissing parents who were keeping an eye on their youngster!



The geese snatched fallen seed someone had thrown on the floor but were very quick movers and I failed to get any further decent pictures.



The younger goose grabbed, stuffed, paraded about, stared... The elder geese came up, stared and hissed at me, as if to say 'feed us you dork, that's what you guys are sposed to do'. Well sorry goose-guys, I did not buy a bag of food and it was not in a feed-the-birds area anyway!


Looking back out the hide window, I took one photo of the baby moorhen - now quite grown up - that regular readers may recall as a fluffy little thing with minute wings a couple of trips ago...

2 comments:

  1. I love the geese invading the human hide all in a row. Very pushy, though. They could at least say please. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. well whsatever they said, or meant to say by thier hissing, i didnt have any food for them...only a camera!

    ReplyDelete