Saturday, January 28, 2017

BIRD NEWS:286


A duck glides by as I sip my coffee, pondering whether to go on the boat trip or head homewards after I finish the drink. The eider crowd increases, meanwhile.


In the above picture, you will see a pair of smews, an Aussie wood duck and a pair of something elses as well as another duck hiding behind the tree. This was my final photo for this excursion to Arundel.


Back home, and January's first week progressed. Garden spottings include a hungry thrush rummaging in the under-palm debris for sultanas and snails and Mr Bob fence-spotting grubs. A great tit investigated the nesting box - but I am not sure if it was for the purpose of nesting or winter shelter. Sparrows amassed on the feeder pole from time to time. This pigeon is next to appear in a shot.


Finally for today, look what I saw sitting on the feeder pole - a pigeon - and NOT a wood pigeon! I was quite excited when I saw 5-6 city pigeons on a neighbor's roof a few weeks ago but this is the first time I have spotted any of them in our yard! Hopefully word will spread about that we serve food!

4 comments:

  1. Word is spreading in the bird community that you operate a safe haven. :D That is a wonderful picture of the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. unfortunately it may not be so safe.... there appears to be a new cat in the neighborhood - i chased it out the yard 3 times today!

    ReplyDelete