Saturday, February 4, 2017

BIRD NEWS:288


It was the garden birdwatch weekend on the last week in January, and I amassed: one magpie, 12 sparrows, 2 blackbirds, 8 starlings, 1 wood pigeon, 1 blue tit, 1 robin and 1 song thrush in my hour of viewing thru the kitchen window.


Shortly afterward, I was off out on a 700 run and visiting Arundel again! Plenty more birds there - but not in a back yard! However, whilst still at home, I managed to get a few shots of the song thrush - that turned up in the final 1-minute of the birdwatch and so just scraped in as being a sighting.


Before my trip, I also caught a jackdaw on camera - munching fallen suet ball crumbs after standing on the metal and pecking at the suet balls still in situ. Then, I was off on my trip. Before I arrived at the Wetlands Reserve this week, I caught a shot of some pheasants roaming a field on the avenue towards my destination.


I also captured a group of birds at Swanbourne Lake as I walked past - regular readers will recall these geese and swan enthusiasts will recognize a mute swan, while newbies and those not well acquainted with birds will still spot a few seagulls. Then I arrived and my first shot on this trip was of the Bewicks' swan.

2 comments:

  1. Are you able to keep the water in the birdbath from freezing in Winter?

    That's a nice shot of the pheasants in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not really - i have to pour warm water on top to unfreeze it some mornings - but the pond usually stays ice free, so there is an early morning water source for the birds and animals.

    ReplyDelete