Friday, February 10, 2017

BIRD NEWS:290




I got a better shot of the trumpeter swan family as I turned the corner towards the next hide. I also got a shot of a duck, swimming serenly beside a log before doing so. I noted that the youth of this current year still remained somewhat grayish in coloration and it will be interesting to see when they turn full white akin to their parents. Will it be before the next nest is built, the next brood hatched, or later in the coming year?


The next hide did not have much to view today, though I spotted a nest in a distant tree. There was however an info board talking about penguins. I have not viewed any live specimens at the reserve, but include the board for those interested in amassing information - after all, thery are birds.

I progressed along the reedwalk beds, which is serene with gentle swishy reeds, although I rarely see much wildlife beyond the odd mallard. On today's journey, I spotted some white water - and wondered if there was oil or pollution - but on closer inspection, it was just ice! This was surprising, as most of the reserve was ice-free - just this little patch still had ice remaining.


I then arrived at the outdoor feedery and what did I see? I will leave you to guess and let you know the ID of the mystery bird, seen here in flight, in my next post.

2 comments:

  1. Do they really have penguins there somewhere?

    The picture of the swan family looks like they just had a pillow fight. :D

    I'll guess that the mystery bird is a hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not in the wetlands reserve - just the info board abou7t them. only penguins i have seen here are at aquariums/zoos. lol i havent seen a live hummingbird YET...

    ReplyDelete