Friday, February 24, 2017

BIRD NEWS:296


The blurred shot we begin today's post with is of Mr Bob the robin sitting in the patch between trees and shrubs behind the washing line. February has us with 3 robins in the garden - Mr, Mrs, and youngster Bob. Youngster Bob will soon be shooed away to make way for this coming season's offspring.


The city pigeon from across the corner has found the seed deposit below the bird feeder in our back yard - and visited a few times. For obvious reasons, I am calling it white-tail. I actually saw Whitetail again today, the day of posting.

This brings us to my next excursion taken in the first half of February. Here is a shot of one of those 'big black birds' munching something on Worthing beach. From the beak and head shape, my up to date bird identification guide classifies it as a crow. A group congregated - 1-2-3...


I had around an hour to wait in Worthing, as I had to arrive at my next destination at a set time rather than whenever the fancy took me. I therefore sat in a shelter and watched the birds for most of the hour. It was snowy-sleety weather, and too cold to enjoy rambling along the seafront or perusing the stores in the mall on this excursion. The next birds after the crows to make an appearance were the gulls swarming around the pier.

2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures of the gulls swarming against the gray sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - i wonder what made them flock around - maybe someone threw down some old fish n chips?

    ReplyDelete