Sunday, February 5, 2017

BIRD NEWS:289



Here is the male Bewicks swan standing on one side of the lake, while the female stands the other, as seen in my last post. The male was exhibiting what might probably have been mating behaviour had it been seen in a month or two's time - but possibly mating or territorial behaviour - to me, as yet unknown.

It then dived into the lake and swam about as if nothing unusual was happening...


My next stop was one of the hides where I spotted a grey heron along with a bunch of ducks. I had to wait for a while until it stopped preening before getting a shot of its face, though.


Before moving along, I spotted a coot, but it was not long before the next batch of swans arrived in front of me - the trumpeter family.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love that picture of the Bewick's swan flexing his wings. :D I'm sure it was mating behavior. He was probably practicing so he'd be ready when mating season comes along. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. well he already has a mate - the two are residents and made a failed nest last year....maybe babies this year!

    ReplyDelete