Sunday, February 19, 2017

BIRD NEWS:294




I took a lot of pictures of the water rail, but none came out perfectly clear on this occasion. I will have to try again on my next trip!


Eventually, I moved on from the woodland hide, passing this coot as I did so. It refused to show its face though, despite me waiting a few minutes for it to do so. As I walked around the last stretch of 3-4 lakes, I caught sight of some pigeons - so out came the camera!


Two separate sightings at two lakes. Before returning to the reserve photos, a brief update from the back yard as January disappears. On a second occasion, a great tit was seen to be investigating the nesting box at the far end of the yard - maybe I will be lucky and have great tits as well as blue tits visit more regularly in 2017. Previously, they make the odd appearance, but are far from everyday sightings.

The starlings are coming less often this month - I am not sure if they have found a better food supply elsewhere or are joined up with a flock nearby and so not as present in this yard. The magpie has been hanging out the tall dead tree at the base of the yard, preventing the smaller birds from feeding temporarily. Wood pigeons have started to frequent the fence...

2 comments:

  1. You will see it again - I have it on the pictures i took yesterday!

    ReplyDelete