Saturday, February 1, 2020

BIRD NEWS:549


The answer - one pochard on the left and two shelducks on the right. These species tend to winter in the area. Next, a pair of bewick swans and a seagull in a tree.....


The bewick duo were not in their usual lake on this occasion, but across the pathway in the lake that houses red breasted and emporor geese along with goldeneye... I was coming up to their enclosure and HEARD one of my Bewick pals hoot-honking and thought it came from a funny place. I saw a white swanlike bird and wondered...and sure enough on arrival, the bewick duo were the wrong side of the path.



They still looked at me, and swam near by though - recollecting that strange lady with the long tail on her head and pink box near her eye...


The usual inhabitants were also on site - eating at the fence on this occasion. My buds went off for lunch.


I went up the path at an angle to see the other two hides... on my way I passed a pair of mute swans sitting on the path - they behaved while I was there - but by the time I came back along the path again they were misbehaving - standing close to the fence bothering the bewicks.



If you didn't know why and when robins became connected to Christmas cards - read the above info board and you will learn!

Back home, I came home from work one lunchtime to see 5 jackdaws on our roof - nice!

2 comments:

  1. Of course I was wrong about the ducks. :D

    I wonder if the Mute Swans were harassing the Bewicks for hanging out with the geese.

    ReplyDelete