Saturday, April 8, 2017

BIRD NEWS:314 and long tailed tits


This lil fellow was serenely nibbling greens by the fence as I wandered past. I assume this placard is of the goose in the picture.


Next up were the goldfinches that hang out at the Niger seed feeders in the wildlife garden where the talk I attended was to be held. It was a weekend of special events, which is why I had determined to attend this week rather than next as formerly planned.

The goldfinches munched away for a while - between disturbances of various visitors walking too close. The talk was about attracting birds and other wildlife into a garden - and I am pleased to report that other than not having a dust bathing area, my gardens have everything else required for happy birds - food, water, wildflowers, insects, shrubbery, trees, nesting material and sites...

This pair stayed in the tree above the feeders while people below bummalged about waiting for the talk to begin. I finally caught a shot of the Trumpeter swan with its head OUT of the water! It was gliding past observing its observers for a while.


There were several wildflower billboards up this week. I did take photos of a few more, but this is the only bird-related one, so the only one I will include in my blog. It is considered an unpopular weed in many gardens, although in the wild it is quite attractive.

HERE is some info about the longtailed tit.  They have this bird at Arundel and also at my friend Liz's home, but I haven't got any living in my own yard.

2 comments:

  1. It's not too surprising that your backyard is a happy place for birds-- but what is a dust bathing area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. its a patch of mud used by sparrows and some other birds to roll in - when taking a dust bath, rather than water bath.

    ReplyDelete