Sunday, April 23, 2017

BIRD NEWS:322 & dunnock info



The previous occupants at the cafe table had left quite a few crumbs behind for the birds to munch as we finished our own refreshments.


There must also have been crumbs under the table at our feet...


Humans do leave rather a large feast behind for pigeons - even if they are JUST a few left over crumbs to us. Plenty for all to share....


Yes, this is a big black bird - NOT a pigeon/dove. Liz was educating me on the difference between rooks, ravens and crows - which regular readers might be aware I have difficulty distinguishing between. I can tell a jackdaw, as we have those nest in our chimney every year - but other big black birds - are big black birds - or were.

Now, I have a few clues as to identification in my mind, I may be able to actually label them properly. This sample we were discussing flew away as I tried to take his shot on the roof, and again on another roof - I managed this partial shot on a table through the bushes, but with 4-5 attempts this is really the only shot in which you can tell it is a bird. It was a rook, by the way.

Finally for today - HERE is some info on the dunnock.

3 comments:

  1. You can always tell a Rook because they can only move in a straight line up or down. :D

    It's amazing how white those show pigeons are. They and the Rooks are like complete opposites. They should get together and play chess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can see what one of your interests is, lol. our show pigeons back in Wollongong had 3 pure white and one grey youngster....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, two Chess jokes in one post. I overdid it. :D

    ReplyDelete