Tuesday, May 12, 2015

BIRD NEWS:35


On the very last day in April, I was in the kitchen - without camera alas - when a very young pigeon landed PLOP on the windowsill, right in front of me. Luckily, it waited a while then flew down into my veg plot, enabling me to dash upstairs and grab my camera. It sat itself down and began doing 'I am hot' styled wing exercises, oblivious to me and my little pink metal box.





It eventually stopped wobbling its wings in the cool sunshine and just sat there for a moment. It looked around as if to investigate lazily the new territory it had entered after its nest and tree. Soon, it began to move around a bit and to nibble things.





I am hoping this youngster will now be aware that it can safely come close to me without harm and that the little metallic pink box will not harm it either. Each year I live in hope that the younger generation will trust me more than the last years' young - but I have yet to see true tameness, the way my pigeon flock back home in Wollongong showed.




4 comments:

  1. I wonder why that is. If they've known you their whole lives, they should trust you.

    These are really great pictures. Nice, clear closeups. They look like you were standing right next to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you zoom, lol. they are english, not aussie - they tend to be less open and friendly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genetically, or because of the environment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. environmental, I beleive. england is a small country, aussie is large - england is filled with english, auissie with multicultural persons - england is ancient nd rigid, aussie young and vibrant - the birds live the way of the land.

    ReplyDelete