Wednesday, May 20, 2015

BIRD NEWS:38






Let me start today's post with a shot each of the two youngest wood pigeons - Teen-pidge and Bubster-pidge. Teen-pidge was puffed up and observant yet again, while Bubster-pidge swooped in for fodder on the sill and did a Naboo - diving out of camera shot! Next, onto the doves. Here is a shot of Ditty or her partner sheltering from the gales in my tree.


As you can see we are back to the blurry foliage shots due to wind interferences! Soon after taking the shot of Ditty during the end of the first week in May, Magster landed in the tree for long enough to take some photos. It was the start of the next week before I got a decent photo of him, though.





By the start of the second week in May I was certain that Ditty and partner had taken up nesting residency in the laurel tree - situated behind my main bedroom-view pittisporum tree. They often hung out in my tree, eyeing the windowsill, scared a pair of wood pigeons from my tree, and always seemed to disappear 'behind' the tree when departing from sight.

Generally, the old back yard looks a fairly good spot for birds to inhabit - as I am sure you will agree from this next shot. One negative aspect of the multiple tree-hedge-shrub-plant-weed-pond patch however is that cats also enjoy it. This detracts somewhat from the birds pleasure. My idea is that the back yard should be for NATURE. This means that whilst I can sadly allow a sparrowhawk or fox the rights to munch one of my friends, I am not so lenient with 'pet' cats and will chase them on sight.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, cats are still predators, even if domesticated. It's too bad there's not some kind of natural deterrent you can put around, like dog scent or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is chili powder - but it may not be good for squirrels, hedgehogs, mice...etc

    ReplyDelete