Friday, October 14, 2016

BIRD NEWS:237


I was still taking shots of the coal-tit at the reedbed walk open feeder station whilst trying to see what I was hearing - woodpecker activity. Along came a blue-tit...

I gave up and wandered along to the woodland hide - one of the best places to spot birds i am more familiar with. Regular readers may recall the baby moorhens I took several pictures of over the past 4-5 months - well here is one at adult size.


I also spotted a robin munching seed from a feeder. This was strange - as our robin has not learned this trick yet and squeak-tweets from the tree for seed and suet on the windowsill. I expect it is the unusual shape of the feeder - with a wide ledge rather than pole then enables this fellow to eat here.

Next up a female chaffinch decided to munch peanuts.

Oh dear me! This moorhen was so hungry it almost fell into the hole the birds have made below the feeder where they scramble for the dropped crumbs. It managed to get out again, thankfully.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes. That's pretty comical, too, but it's a good thing he didn't hurt himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the duck is also amused....maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to start following your blog. I live in the city...Louisville, KY. and also don't know much about birds. Being disabled also has me very limited. Anyway, great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Joyce. It will be nice to have another regular reader. (I currently have RJ who comments on every pos,t and 2 other regulars who have informed me that they read the blog, but do not comment.) I used to post a lot about Australian birds from 2007-2009 and even wrote a book, then about English birds when I returned to England. My original blog was lost when the host site failed, though.

    ReplyDelete