Friday, October 28, 2016

BIRD NEWS:244

The middle Saturday of October was somewhat gloomy weather which might turn either to sunshine or rain, so I took myself to Arundel, which can be enjoyed in sun or in rain. Arundel can consist of running between hides and relaxing at the cafe if rainy, or strolling around at leisure if sunny. I was lucky and the rain held off until my bus ride home, allowing me to get some more shots of those birds that must now be familiar to regular readers of my bird blog.



So as not to bore regulars entirely, I took a few shots of info-boards. The Bewicks swan will no doubt be familiar with regulars. This trip allowed me up to 4 hours timewise, so there was no rush and I wandered along all areas and hides apart from the boat trip which was only running half-hourly today due to special talks and walks. Here are a couple of shots of the diving birds.




Next up a gang of geese were swimming past. Back home, and very little activity has gone on to my witness since I last updated you all. We still have starlings stripping the feeder of suet balls and sparrows gobbling down the seed feeder tube daily, with occasional nut-snatches from Beatie and family blue-tit, and a single goldfinch that sits and munches ravenously at the niger seed.

Mr Bob the robin is often heard chirping in the tree but the blackbirds and magpies, jay and thrushes have been ominously absent of late. Pidge occasionally arrives at seed n suet on sill time, while Ditty and partner seem to prefer the trees at the base of the yard recently.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder what happened to the blackbirds, magpies, jay, thrushes. Could they have gone South for the Winter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. blackbirds are around just not under my nose - magpies are back - jay only same for a week or two and our thrush only comes out in winter...

    ReplyDelete