Friday, March 10, 2017

BIRD NEWS:301 & information about the nuthatch



Before my next excursion, the last in February, I took a couple of shots of a sparrowhawk that silenced the yard one morning. Not a single other bird was in sight, from wren or tit to magpie or jackdaw.

During the final weekend of the month, I spent a short half-day trip in Arundel. I could have stayed an hour or two longer, but it was very windy and quite cold. My coat hood kept blowing off and my ears felt icy. My first shot was of a strange colored duck hanging out with a mallard.

Next, I took a shot from a window in a hide of various birds on the islands in the lake - swans, geese, moorhens, gulls...

The egrets were more common in Australia, although the smaller egret is more common in both the locations I have regularly visited. I next took a couple of shots of a coot munching grass on the side of the path as I passed. It was not until I got home and studied the photos before cropping them that I realized what good shots I had taken of the feet. I had never before noticed the feet of a coot, but these photographs made them come out clearly and I found them interesting.


I walked on and passed some more ducks...

Finally for today, HERE is a link to some information about nuthatches - which I have seen at Arundel, but not yet at home.

2 comments:

  1. The first thing I noticed about the pictures were those feet. Very cool. He looks like he's wearing puffy slippers or something. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know why i havent noticed their feet before - but they are definitely interesting!

    ReplyDelete