Saturday, March 11, 2017

BIRD NEWS:302





Next on my Arundel trip, I passed the Bewick's swans. Many of the birds were displaying mating rituals in late february, but I am not certain as to what a swan mating ritual looks like - yet. I learned that mallards dip their beaks in and out the water, but whether this is the same for swans or not, I am uncertain. If it is, this swan was overdoing it today!

I got a really clear photograph of the goldfinches this trip. There were around a half dozen, maybe a few more, on the feeders and in the nearby tree as I passed. These next photos might be a bit of a surprise...


This link HERE should explain everything!



The Trumpeter swan family were also mostly grazing as I passed by this trip. My last shot for the day shows a swan dipping down to suck up some food from below and came out heart-shaped!

4 comments:

  1. Those Dusty Ducks are definitely a rare species. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder where they'll migrate to when they leave Arundel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. another of the wetland reserves some place else in the country gets them next... they take turns to host exhibits.

    ReplyDelete